Strength is not the only source of defence. As some rise in the social heirarchy, others fall. Those who hit the bottom sometimes find that their position as the lowest of the low actually gives them greater privilege in certain situations. Some of the most pathetic learn to revel in their misery, taking on greater and greater punishments in the knowledge that, if they survive, they will emerge more powerful than they were at the beginning. Or at least that’s what they tell themselves. Most others say that the Wretched take them in because no-one else will.
(Sometimes members of this Phyle are referred to by non-phylists as “Vile Pygmies”. This is probably meant as an insult.)
- phyle badge: Having so often been shut out of things, the Wretched take as their symbol a closed portcullis.
- current leadership:
- member obligations:
- member privileges:
- typical members:
- allies: The Victims only really get along with people who are nice to them, and that generally means only the Hospitalers and the Sisters of Mercy.
- enemies: The Wretched actively dislike the All-Seeing Eye (nosy jerks), Bastion of Righteousness (self-righteousness is more like it!), Broken Bond (they never help us), Dead College (creepy), Family (except when they’re selling us drugs for cheap), Green Way (what has Nature done for us lately?), Maul (they just beat us up), Mutual Defence Co-Operative (they think they’re better than us), Other Side (also creepy), Overlords and Regium (both of whom are way too pushy), and Sign of Swine (rich bastards).
- economy: what now?
- don’t mess with us because: Why would you want to? It’s not like we have anything of value.
- common religions:
- restrictions, attitudes towards purity and taint: For some phylists, Taint is something they actively seek out as they strive to become as vile as possible. For others, it is an unavoidable result of trying to scratch out a living in the most miserable conditions. Purity, on the other hand, is seen as something requiring either too much effort, or unattainable life circumstances.
- favoured classes:
- prestige classes:
- cleric domains:
- at least one of:
- none of:
- feats: Lightning Reflexes, Stealthy, Toughness
- skills: Bluff, Disguise, Move Silently, Sleight of Hand
return to Phyles